A commonly asked question, with no set answer. A stretcher can be a great addition for some campers, and a terrible idea for others. Below we explore a few reasons why they're great, and some of the reasons why they're not great.
1) Increases storage space. By using a stretcher you can store your bags, valuables and other personal belongings underneath your stretcher.
|The OZTent King Goanna Stretcher bed is a popular choice and leaves plenty of room available beneath for some storage.|
3) Easy to get in and out of. Being off the ground really helps with getting into, and out of bed especially if you've got a bad back, knee etc.
For some people, having a stretcher just does not work. Here are a few reasons why:
1) Less weight - A good thick self inflating mattress on the ground is extremely comfortable, this allows you to do without your heavy stretcher.
2) Save space - Following on from less weight, a self inflating mattress such as the Blackwolf Mega Deluxe Self Inflating Mattress is very comfortable on its own. Adding a stretcher increases the amount you need to pack. Space is often precious when packing your car and trailer!
3) Not great Queen beds - your typical queen stretcher is not great. Queen stretchers, in order to make them useable at all need to have a bar down the middle. This can make bed time cuddles and spooning a little uncomfortable. This can be somewhat overcome on the OZtrail Queen Easy Fold Stretcher by using a OZTrail Queen Leisure Mattress on top. However it does not eliminate the bar entirely.
|The OZtrail Queen Easy Fold Stretcher is a great double stretcher, but has a bar running down the middle which can make cuddle time unpleasant. To overcome, combine with an OZtrail Queen Leisure Mattress.|
There are other stretcher like beds available such as the OZtrail Queen Instant Anywhere Bed it overcomes this problem using a inflatable mattress on top. Though for many having a standard inflatable mattress is not ideal, due to the trampolining effect that they have. ie - your partner moves, and you then move because of them.